Summary about the event will be available after the event took place, until then please use the share tools below this text and spread the word or discover more content.
The Montanuniversitaet Leoben SPE Student Chapter is proud to announce that this year, we will hold our second international Student Congress of Petroleum Engineering at our university. After the huge success in 2016 we decided to revive this great international student conference in Leoben!
SCOPE will take place from October 15 – 17, 2018 at Montanuniversitaet Leoben, Austria.
The conference is dedicated to the 4th Industrial Revolution in the Oil Industry, hence the main topic is “PEoneer – Innovation and New Technology”.
We will provide an interesting mix of keynote speaker presentations from the different disciplines of drilling, production and reservoir engineering, as well as a panel discussion with highly recognized industry representatives. Furthermore, we are proud to invite you to proactively participate in a Student Paper Contest and/or a challenging Student Petroquiz, where you can compete against representatives of many other universities! For more info, take a look at the guidelines below.
The conference will be closed by a field trip, which will lead us to OMV’s oil and gas wells in the Vienna Basin close to their Gänserndorf base and to the brand-new OMV 3D Visualization Center in OMV’s Vienna Headoffice. Furthermore, there will be a wide variety of cultural and societal events where you can make new friends from all over the world.
Do not miss out on this great opportunity of growing your network and gaining new experiences!
Please register here today!
Paper Contest Rules
1. Only single-authored papers are allowed (the definition of single-author is a student that has written the presentation/paper independently even through other researchers or contributors may have been involved in the project or subject matter).
2. The paper must be based on original work.
3. Abstracts are required and must be submitted before the deadline on September 9th 2018.
4. The abstracts can be up to a maximum of 425 Words and must be written & presented in the English language, the official language of SPE, and in the SPE international template (see here)
5. The abstract should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF format.
6. Only one entry per student and contest. Multiple abstracts or entries to the same contests will not be accepted.
7. Only the best 4 papers will be selected for the Paper Contest. All applicants will be notified via email.
8. The presentation must not exceed 15 minutes.
9. The subject of the presentation / paper must be related to petroleum engineering, which is defined as the application of basic and engineering sciences to the finding, development, and recovery of oil, gas, and other resources from wells.
10. If the student has already graduated, it must have been less than 12 months before the contest (e.g. A student who graduated in September 2017 is not allowed to participate after September 2018).
1. Teams will consist of no more than three players. There will be no degree specific criteria for each team. Teams may play short, with a minimum of two players.
2. Players participating must be enrolled in a university at the time of the competition.
3. The games will follow a standard single elimination bracket-style process in which two teams compete and the winning team advances to the next round.
4. Questions are intended to test the contestants’ knowledge of petroleum engineering and the petroleum industry.
5. Any rule changes, clarifications, and/or agenda will be announced to all participating students in advance of the competition.
6. Further details will be explained on site on the day of the competition.
How to get to Leoben?
For those of you, who come to Austria via Vienna International Airport, the best way to get to Leoben from Vienna is by train. Trains frequently commute between Vienna International Airport to Vienna Hauptbahnhof (Mainstation) where you can transfer to a train to Leoben every even hour at the 25th minute. The first train leaves Vienna at 6:25 in the morning. The costs for a one-way ticket to Leoben from Vienna Hauptbahnhof is 32.80 Euro and can be purchased directly at the train station. The best and easiest way to get the train’s and Vienna’s public transport system-timetable is via the Scotty app. For those of you that are not coming via airplane, Leoben is easily reached via the Trans-European Railway and highway system.
Where is the dormitory in Leoben located?
The dormitory in Leoben is called “Living Campus” and is located at Kreuzfeldweg 3, 8700 Leoben. The following map shows you how to get there from the train station.
What is included in a full, standard or congress ticket?
Full Ticket (includes Sessions, Welcome Drink, Goody Bag, Field Trip, Afterparty, Food – 2x Breakfast, 2x Lunch, 2x Dinner, Accommodation)
Costs for Guests: 150€
Costs for Petroquiz Participants: 145€
Costs for Paper Contest Participants: 70€
Standard Ticket (includes Sessions, Welcome Drink, Goody Bag, Field Trip, Afterparty, Food – 2x Breakfast, 2x Lunch, 2x Dinner,)
Costs for Guests: 80€
Costs for Petroquiz Participants: 75€
Costs for Paper Contest Participants: 0€
Congress Ticket (includes Sessions, Welcome Drink, Goody Bag, Field Trip, Afterparty)
Costs for Guests: 25€
Costs for Petroquiz Participants: 20€
Costs for Paper Contest Participants: 0€
There is a 15€ discount for Montanuniversitaet Leoben SPE Student Chapter Members on ANY ticket – join us here!
To make use of the discount you have to be a SPE Student Chapter Leoben Member at the time of registration.
Reimbursements of registration costs can be made if cancellation is received by September 15th. A 5€ cancellation fee applies, i.e. is not reimbursed.
We hope to see you soon in Leoben!
The Organizing Committee
Christoph Flicker (President)
Andreas Liegenfeld (Secretary)
Sharadiya Kozak (PR Officer)